Yu Takizawa is a Brisbane psychologist, with a special interest in working with clients from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Before becoming a psychologist, Yu worked for a market research company and organisational consulting firm.
Yu has experience working in private practice, educational institutions and community agencies supporting adults, adolescents and children with a wide range of social and mental health issues, including:
- Mental Health Issues – treating the symptoms of depression, anxiety, bipolar, personality disorders, and post-traumatic stress disorder;
- Life Transitions – helping to overcome culture shock, language barriers and other challenges experienced by international students and immigrants;
- Academic and Work Performance – helping to develop confidence and skills to manage stress and anxiety for improving work and academic performance;
- Communication and Relationships – improving relationships at home and work;
- Grief and loss – recovering from the loss of a loved one;
- Addiction – helping to recover from addictions to drugs, alcohols, gaming and gambling.
Yu welcomes each client with warmth and respect, providing a safe place for them to talk about even the most sensitive issues in their personal life. Yu is non-judgemental and acknowledges the uniqueness in values and opinions of each client, including the values from different cultural, spiritual and religious backgrounds.
In his counselling, Yu works together with each client to analyse key issues and develop better understanding and strategies to deal with them.
Yu’s preferred therapeutic approaches include Person-Centred Approach, Solution-Focused Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Mindfulness-based approaches, and Neuropsychotherapy.
Counselling for Immigrants
Yu was born and raised in Japan and has lived in Australia over 10 years, giving him an understanding of both Australian and Asian cultures.
Due to his own background, Yu understands the difficult challenges experienced by immigrants and international students in Australia, such as adjustment to new language and unfamiliar culture, cross-cultural relationships, and the isolation from family members and friends still in the home country.
Yu is experienced in helping individuals to smooth the transition to life in Australia, adjusting to working and studying in the Australian environment, and improving satisfaction and happiness.
Counselling in Japanese
Yu is one of only a few Japanese speaking psychologists in Brisbane; and aims to provide a vital support to those seeking counselling and psychotherapy in Japanese in Brisbane and nearby regions.
Yu Takizawa, B Sc (Hons), M Couns, M App Psych.
To make an appointment with Brisbane Psychologist Yu Takizawa, you can try Online Booking – Mt Gravatt or call Vision Psychology (Mt Gravatt) on (07) 3088 5422.